Friday, August 17, 2007

From "My Cat" to "They Lion"

Emily's post on Philip Levine reminded me of these celebrity matchups from my CW syllabus. Here are some of my teaching pair-ups in "Conversations Poems Have."

If you all can think of others, I'd like to know them. Here are four that I love (I have many examples, including a pretty good Shakespeare and Edna St. Vincent Millay sonnet comparison).

Christopher Smart's Jubilate Agno and Levine's "They Feed They Lion"

All about the anaphora. You should see the students' faces as they move from feline to feline.

John Donne's "Song" and Eliot's "The Love-Song of J-Alfred Prufrock"

All about the mermaids. (I have a whole unit on the Sirens to Disney's Ariel).

Eliot's "Prufrock" and Etheridge Knight's "Hard Rock Returns to Prison from the Hospital for the Criminal Insane"

All about the dramatic monologue.

Knight's "Hard Rock" and Robert Lowell's "Memories of West Street and Lepke"

All about the voice.

No comments: