From the shelter/rescue website: The Papillon's original use was that of ladies' companion. It has never had any job other than to grace the home and heart.
We've been to the pound again and found a 2-year-old Papillon, already housebroken, able to heel, sit, and stay. His name is Frodo (I guess because of the ears and hairy feet). He's a great dog--his previous owners did not take care of him. He's been starved and never let outside--Despite this, the animal shelter said he had the worst case of fleas they'd ever seen--those must be some fleas if Animal Control was amazed. Despite the infestation, his fur is beautiful (tricolor), and he has the most alert, adorable face. I wish my eyebrows were as well groomed as his!
He's had his Frontline flea medicine, and after that he'll visit the vet, then come home with us Saturday morning (there's a 48-hour waiting period--24 for the shelter, and then the vet keeps him overnight after neutering). He loves us and Raleigh, and he has been kept in a room with cats, which he adores. We'll see what the cats--Loco the Grey and Shadow the Good--think about him when Frodo comes here on Saturday. I think he'll be intimidated since he only weighs 10 pounds and Loco is easily 13 pounds. Shadow and he will be buddies immediately--Loco will take some time. He's the alpha animal here.
When Raleigh, Harvey, and Daniel go back to school, I'll have a reason to break away from transcription and go for walks now.
I encourage everyone who wants a pet to check out shelters--there are animals who will respond to the slightest bit of caring with lifelong love. Also, please spay/neuter your pets.
1 comment:
OH! I adore Papillons. They're not just cute, they're really really intelligent too -- a lot of people use them as signal dogs (aka "hearing-ear" dogs). Great little guys. Can't wait to see pictures & hear stories about yours! And yes, yes, yes to shelter pets -- both of my cats came from shelters and they are, of course, perfect. :)
Post a Comment