Sunday, June 22, 2008

Five-Day Countdown

I have five more days before I retire...also five days before my self-imposed moratorium on writing ends. I miss writing acutely but wanted to purge my thoughts of all my old poems. I didn't read them, didn't revise them, didn't even plug my flash drive into the computer to peek at them. I think this fallow period is working--I'm now ready for new poems. I have a squid poem started in my mind--maybe just a haiku, but at least it's something not related to my old poems. All of the old ones are out in the world.

A copy of Meridian came in the mail, and I read a poem I really loved in it, "Sex and Candy," by Eric Kirby. I've linked to it above. Any poem that starts out as strangely as Candy: it's the nookie of children has my attention; this poem kept it all the way through, and the end is heartbreakingly lovely.

As a side note, I'm getting very excited about Sewanee...I still cannot believe I am going. I bought a new journal today to take with me....

1 comment:

Collin Kelley said...

I'm looking forward to reading some of that new work. Have fun at Sewanee.