"Let us think of the answer of Oedipus." (from Seferis' Nobel Prize acceptance speech)
____________________________
One of the most important pieces of MFA wisdom for me came from my mentor Phil Stephens: "Go read Richard Wilbur's 'The Writer,' and get ready for a long haul yourself." I think that maybe he's right. (Here I originally scribbled "write."). I have to be both the child (the learner and drafter) and the father (the observer and reviser). I also have to start and stop and question myself constantly (There's the love, loss, and never-recovered/rediscovered part about which Seferis journals).
____________________________
Question: Seferis and Oedipus.
Answer: (One of many)
"The Child is Father to the Man." (capitalization mine own). See Wilbur's "The Writer."
Holy shade-of-Billy-Wordsworth, Batman!
____________________________
In discussions with my friend Chet about lyric time and narrative time, I always mean to mention Beth Ann Fennelly's excellent essay, linked here:
http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/5907
____________________________
Notes to the Self: I Wish I Were
More like Alice, and less like the White Rabbit: Curiouser and curiouser.
More like the Caterpillar, less like Alice: Who are you? meets its match (and makes its metamorphosis) in Who am I?
See also Dickinson, Emily--I'm Nobody.
No comments:
Post a Comment