Friday, December 03, 2010

Comic(s) Relief: Making HUM More Humane

I'm trying my very best to come up with a curriculum that will be fun for me to teach and fun for more students than just the liberal arts majors. I've interviewed Dan's friends who have taken HUM and asked for their favorite readings. I've thought and I've thought about themes to stress. I think I'm going with QUESTIONS OF PLACE--not just place in terms of historical timelines or geography, though those are important, but also one's place in place in social hierarchy and place in a literary/mythologic cosmos. What happens when one steps out of place, doesn't know her place?

I'm going to try to relate the literature of antiquity forward to comic books/superheroes/semiotics/video games. I have plans for Gilgamesh, Frankenstein, Odyssey, The Aeneid, The Iliad, Macbeth, Candide, and, er, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I surely hope it works. It's such fun planning this syllabus.

"My task which I am trying to achieve is, by the power of the written word to make you hear, to make you feel — it is, before all, to make you see. That — and no more, and it is everything." Joseph Conrad

I'm not sure about including Heart of Darkness. Yes or No?



Visit She Writes
Widget_logo

1 comment:

Joan said...

I intensely adore Heart of Darkness.