You'd have been 47 today. We'd have had cake and ice cream and a huge meal somewhere, then more cake and ice cream. I miss you and I love you, and today I will be really really glad I knew you for 23 years.
This is the scan of a postcard I bought Harvey many years ago for his birthday. He loved frogs, because his grandfather (also a Harvey) loved frogs. I wanted to buy him a frog-shaped Majolica humidor that matched the one his grandfather had, but we couldn't afford it. I still want to buy that humidor, but it is on the list of things I have never seen again.
This trio of frogs was tucked in one of his sketchbooks, with a note that said More than worms (Dan's mishearing of the old song "More than Words"). This would have been 1991? 1992?
I did and I do love you more than worms and more than words, and I hope you are having a brilliant laughter-filled birthday, and that you have finally gotten Matisse to draw YOUR portrait.
His mouth is sweet, he is altogether lovely; this is my beloved and this is my friend, O you daughters of Jerusalem.
(Song of Songs 5:16, our translation)
2 comments:
Bitter, bitter, bitter (sweet).
Remember
Post a Comment