Thrift shop finds:
- Gold compact engraved, with initials and date on the front and stones that might just be rubies (1947)--Three dollars. (Definitely taking this to the gold buyer--this will probably make my mortgage payment on the rental house; it's thin but tests as gold and matches exactly the one in the photo).
- Jade earrings (definitely jade, set in gold; definitely not taking these anywhere other than the jewelry box)--50 cents.
- Perfect skirt--Two dollars. Size--ahem, 10--It matches my black and purple suit. The jacket still fits but the skirt was too big. Now I can donate the old skirt and still have my suit! Two dollars, plus recycling at its most useful. I loved that suit and am glad to keep it.
- 10 rolls of player piano music--total of $10. I bought them for the beautiful red, green, and black boxes, in which I plan to store some jewelry. If you have a player piano, I will send you the rolls, as I doubt I can even get a dollar out of them. They'd also be great as the background for a collage. (The boxes are just lover-ly; I cannot wait to store some glass necklaces in them).
- Oak tables (set of three), $52.50 (this was probably too low; I was a bit disappointed).
- Shawnee elephant cookie jar with mismatched lid, $30.00.
- Milk glass vase, $50 (what the heck was THAT about?--not that I'm complaining).
- Luzianne salt and pepper shakers, $17.
I still have a very nice Meissen candy dish (French Onion pattern) and an antique sewing machine to send to auction next month. I would prefer to send about 10 things to fill up my dad's truck. Maybe in November--I have some planters that I might send, or I might put everything but the sewing machine on E-bay.
I am not writing but am reading and thinking about a new poem including punctuation. The em-dash really makes me think. I love Randall Mann's "?" poem, and I've always wanted to write a poem with a symbol as the title.
I also need a third item for the braid/triptych of "Process Through Which My Beloved Becomes a Diamond." Can you think of something that goes with Renaissance paint-making and turning the cremains of your loved one into jewelry? I can't, either.
This is a boring post, I know, but I am a teaching and editing fool these days.
Share|
5 comments:
Everything sounds wonderful-- I love thrift stores, flea markets, and auctions=)
Can you think of something that goes with Renaissance paint-making and turning the cremains of your loved one into jewelry?
Yes.
Egg tempera.
xoxox
You are making art and value of that which has been left behind.
Ms. Moon,
Thank you. I don't see any art or value, just a lot of spilled catfood and kicked up litter. Time for the new broom and some DooWop music as I clean the kitchen.
(And can I just say that Owen might be the cutest thing of this entire century?)
Your Majesty,
What a great idea! I plan to spend some time with egg tempera today. I have ground up and pounded-pestled pigment already, but there might be a way that this can thread right through there and make a triptych.
Post a Comment