Yesterday afternoon officially marks the beginning of junking/thrift shop/yard and estate sale season. Harvey and I went with Raleigh (our daughter, age 7) to the thrift store around the corner from our house. I found a copy of Palmer Cox's The Brownies: Their Book (1888) for a dime. That's officially the first bargain of the year. This is the same thrift store where I've discovered 14 Bakelite bracelets for 50 cents each, and a tumbler that matches the Manhattan glassware I collect (only a quarter). I think I have found the place to go when I have a dollar and need cheering up.
H. came back on Friday, very jazzed from going to the Kentucky Artists Market. I was here with our daughter (7) and son (20). Next year, Harvey and I are making plans to go together. I look forward to it.
Their Eyes Were Watching God was on television last night. I have that book somewhere in the attic (still have not unpacked everything). One of the tidbits I remember about Hurston from history class is Alice Walker looking for Hurston's grave, finding it unmarked, and erecting a headstone.
The actors who play Janie and Teacake are really good (sizzle), but the TV movie cuts out too much about the town. I need to check that out again.
I did have this ZNH quote saved somewhere:
You who play the zig-zag lightning of power over the world, with the grumbling thunder in your wake, think kindly of those who walk in the dust. And you, who walk in humble places, think kindly too, of others. . . . Consider that with tolerance and patience, we godly demons may breed a noble world in a few hundred generations or so. Maybe all of us who do not have the good fortune to meet or meet again, in this world, will meet at a barbecue.
Amen to that. I'll bring the coleslaw.
No comments:
Post a Comment