Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Major Junking

That's what we call thrift shop prowling, driveby yardsaling, and flea market meandering.

Lately, I have not posted on our forays into the world of second-hand, but although tapped out by porch paint, we have found the following:

1. Dragon Tea Set (perfect condition, perfect gilt, and no guilt about the $2 price!)
2. USA pottery magnolia-colored vase, shaped just like a hot air balloon and ideal for peonies.
3. Walking stick with carved woodpecker handle--beautiful carving and perfect flagging-down wife across a crowded flea market tool--that redheaded woodpecker just burns.
4. Broom with snake carved around the handle (these last two are awesome folk art)--I feel like Eve when I use it. The snake actually fits me like a handgrip!
5. The best shoe last I've ever seen, complete with tin sole and 10-pound weight advertising on the wood. The color is something between rust and cinnamon--awesome, awesome, on its original oiled leather cord. This is one for hanging over the fireplace, next to the bellows hand-carved with a galleon...but that's another trip...Best spent dollar of the week!
6. Yellow bulldog planter. We now have quadruplets--others are Vintage Blue, Jade, and Cream.
7. New kitten that strayed onto Harvey's path and is now living here, and surprisingly getting along with Loco the Mad. The most loved and loudest of all finds is Shadow (after the RLS poem).
8. Evil clown cookie jar in green suit.
9. Many, many books.
10. Carved dragon in honey jade strung on a red silk cord.
11. Bakelite bracelet with "ivory" carved Buddhas--major add to the treasure trove--some day I'm writing that Bakelite poem! (PS Also Bakelite tri-colored tulip pendant--very cool but not as cool as the bracelet).
12. Miscellaneous postcards (me) and Star Wars/McDonald's Disney toys (husband--well, I know that I've described him as perfect, and except for this slight--well--affliction, he is).

I am sure there are also Christmas ornaments and art supplies I have forgotten to mention, but I'll stop at a dozen.

Happy searching to you fellow junkers--and don't forget the thermos, the flashlight, and the essential requirement of plastic bags and paper towels for storing your treasures safely. LOL.

No comments: