Friday, July 15, 2005

Backbone

I'm going to a spine specialist at the end of this month, who'll probably be jacking up my spine. This is pretty scary surgery, but the back pain I've been having and the results of the MRIs this week are pretty conclusive. Keep me in your thoughts.

One plus--At the end of the surgery I might be 5 feet 5 instead of 5 feet 3-1/2.

This poem is helping me keep my mind off the surgical risks. I don't know why but it's helping.

"Late Self-Portrait by Rembrandt"
Jane Hirshfield

The dog, dead for years, keeps coming back in the dream.
We look at each other there with the old joy.
It was always her gift to bring me into the present—
Which sleeps, changes, awakens, dresses, leaves.
Happiness and unhappiness
differ as a bucket hammered from gold differs from one of pressed tin,
this painting proposes.
Each carries the same water, it says.

5 comments:

Anne Haines said...

Surgery is always scary, but if the result is the easing of pain, it's worth it! I will send all good thoughts--

Patty said...

I'm so sorry you have to go through surgery. My thoughts are with you.

Pamela Johnson Parker said...

Thanks, you two, for your good wishes! You'll never know how much I appreciate them.

A. J. Patrick Liszkiewicz said...

Good luck, Pamela. I'll be thinking about you.

Peter said...

Best wishes and good health, Pamela. Thanks for the poems, too.