Wednesday, March 19, 2008

In Memoriam: Anthony Minghella and Dr. Wayne Beasley



The fabulous Anthony Minghella died unexpectedly after surgery. I mourn the loss of this great artist. Although many people prefer The English Patient, I think that The Talented Mr. Ripley is his masterwork. Matt Damon and Jude Law give perfect turns in The Talented Mr. Ripley, and it takes a superb director to coax an adequate performance out of Gwyneth Paltrow.

____________



Here's the obituary of one of the greatest lecturers and teachers I've ever had the privilege to know. Dr. Beasley was my history adviser as an undergraduate. He was the most fabulous, entertaining lecturer. His specialties were diverse--English History, Modern Europe, Ancient History--and his interests were wide. Everyone at MSU will miss his glowing green eyes and his sarcastic Southern voice. My sympathies are with his family, and it was my honor to know him and love him.

Dr. T. Wayne Beasley, 69, Murray, died Sunday, March 16, 2008, at 9:15 p.m. at his home.

He was a history professor at Murray State University for 42 years. He received his Ph.D. and master's degree from the University of Georgia and his bachelor's degree from Austin Peay State University.

Survivors include his wife, Mai Dinh Beasley; three daughters, Catina Coleman and husband, Curtis, Watsonville, Calif., Kayne Rogers and husband, Joe, New Hyde Park, N.Y., and Layne Causey and husband, Tim, Nashville, Tenn.; one sister, Wanda Ferebee and husband, James, Dickson, Tenn.; two grandchildren.

Visitation will be at Imes-Miller Funeral Home from 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesday. Online condolences may be made to www.imesmiller.com

Expressions of sympathy may be made to the Calloway County Humane Society, P.O. Box 764, Murray, KY 42071.

4 comments:

Catina said...

Thank you for the kind words concerning Dad. You must have known him well. He made history lively for class lectures and inspired many, it seems. I feel the loss more deeply as I teach his grandchildren World History without him.

Catina
PS. A nicer obit can be found in the Sunday Nashville Tennessean.

Pamela Johnson Parker said...

Thank you, Catina, for your kind words and the link to a better obituary. I truly miss your father and am honored to have known him. My heroes have always been teachers, and Dr. Beasley is among the finest anywhere. He made me want to study, read, and write. I saved all my blue book examinations from his classes; his witty responses to my essays have provided me much laughter over the years. He is and will continue to be my role model for how to conduct a lively classroom lecture.

I'm posting the Tennessean obituary here, and also adding his picture to this site.

Dr. T. Wayne Beasley, age 69, a European history professor at Murray State University for 43 years, died March 16, 2008 of cancer at his home in Murray, KY. He was known for his intellect, irreverent wit and many interests, from gardening to guns. Originally from Dickson, TN, Dr. Beasley earned his Ph.D. and master's degree from the University of Georgia and bachelor's from Austin Peay State University. He was Murray State's 1992 Teacher of the Year and won the 2003 Regents Award for teaching.

Catina said...

Quick response :-)
Can you edit the original obit? If so, please remove his birthdate. Bad security. Thanks.

Pamela Johnson Parker said...

Done--and sorry! That escaped me completely. Thanks for the tip--I'll be more careful about such things in the future.

(FYI--The reason for the quick response is that I'm defending my creative dissertation tomorrow, and I've started an early review. I've included a section on your father and some of my other teachers who influenced my writing in the introductory section, and I wanted to review blog posts about them in context).