Thursday, May 05, 2005

Adopt a Poet

I think I'll adopt three of my former teachers who are featured on the Academy of American Poets website. (I saw this on another blog today). The fourth one can fend for herself.

Here are the three: Jim Galvin, Mark Jarman, and William Matthews.

Some of the best poets and teachers of poetry, however, are not on the website.

Richard Speakes is a wonderful teacher AND a wonderful poet, and I'd gladly sponsor him with an extra zero attached. I urge you to look up his work! (Plus--I met my husband at a party he hosted, and for that I am rarely exasperated and eternally grateful!)

Claudia Keelan--well what can someone say that has not been said about her teaching and writing? I can only echo the praise that others have given her work, and I still refer to the notes I took in her classes. She gave poetry a new voice for me. I would gladly sponsor her with extra zeroes, as well.

I am blessed to have had these teachers.

No comments: