1. Total number of books I own:
More than the Fulton County Public Library (Kentucky, not Atlanta) but fewer than Anne Haines!
Seriously, we own several thousand books. My husband has books at school, in his office, and in a storage building he uses as a studio. My daughter has over 500 books--she is cataloguing them. We could use another room for just books (and we have a library). Reading is our drug of choice, followed closely by caffeine.
2. Last book I bought:
James Galvin: X (to replace a copy I gave away).
3. Last book I read:
It was a re-read: American Gods, by Neil Gaiman. This is a great book and bears multiple readings. I live very near Cairo, Illinois, which is featured prominently.
4. Five books that mean a lot to me:
The Bible (best stories ever)
Robert Louis Stevenson--A Child's Garden of Verse (I am still in awe of "The Swing")
Andre Dubus: Stories (thank-you gift from a teacher)
Vladimir Nabokov--Lolita (everything a book should be)
Henry James--The Ambassadors (reminds me that life begins at the age I am now)
OK, cheating and adding numbers 6 and 7--Daniel and the Dragon and The Misadventures of Jonathan Rabbit, written by my husband and me and illustrated with great charm by my husband. Very limited edition of one per child in our family.
No comments:
Post a Comment