Monday, March 20, 2006

Week in Review--

I wrote a new short story this weekend, and I already have some good ideas of how to proceed on revising it. Anybody remember what a draft card/postcard looks like?

My short story ("Horses") was finally workshopped last week, and the instructor thinks that it needs to have Patti Smith's song removed as the focus of the story. This is going to be difficult, as it is killing a darling I thought I'd never, ever murder. I think he's right, though I surely will miss having Ms. Smith's music in my story. One of the reasons the class gave was that it limited the audience of who'd read it and appreciate it. I don't really think about audience much when I'm writing, unless it's a technical article (the only paying gigs I ever have). Maybe I should.

Poems are moving slowly. I am trying to write about subjects that I haven't addressed before. This is slogging.

No comments: