So it's Greek yogurt and granola, then money for the mortgage, then 70 papers on Macbeth. All this on 3-1/2 hours of sleep. And Saturday I have to work, and Sunday I have to make up a midterm and write yet another letter to the retirement board about Harvey's insurance and his pension (both of which they're stalling). I just want to sleep for hours and hours, but I can't. I have Raleigh to fuss over and students to fret over and writing that's not getting done and Dan to consider and a Himalayan range of laundry and a cat who's peeing in the umbrella plant.

I just want to be bedbound, in a mound of lavender-scented quilts and high-count Egyptian sheets, with a never-to-be-empty cup of lemon tea with honey and a cat curled in the nook of my knees and my little mouse-with-a-book reading lamp illuminating the pages of Our Mutual Friend And someday I want someone beside me. I'll share the cat and share the tea and share the quilts. I'll like the way his eyes crinkle and his brow furrows when he reads something well written. I'll watch his hands flip the pages as he turns to the box scores in the sports section and tells me how the Cards have choked again. He'll ask me the answer to 17 Down: Five-letter word: single line of type at the top of the page. And I won't hazard a guess. He'll say, 15 Across: Another five-letter word: open mouthed, one of 5 or possibly 7. I'll know vowel, not remember widow.
7 comments:
YOU ARE STARTING TO GET BETTER NOW!
Oh, dear Anonymous, I hope that you and your skywriting capitals are correct.
Thank you.
Too little sleep eclipses everything. It is hard enough to find answers with all skills intact. I wish you the luxury of enough sleep and, somehow, a lessening of the sense of having to do it all alone.
It's funny because after 3 months I was sleeping really well, and now insomnia is having its way with me again. Thank you, Marylinn, for your readership and your good wishes. I keep thinking that to write something may be to right something. (I think this is from Julia Cameron).
Oh you know how to live Pamela. You're so excellent at it. I admire you from many angles and envy your great love. I am sorry you can't sleep. I have all my life struggled with the demon insomnia. I'm glad you wrote it down. I'm glad you are still here doing the hard work.
Thanks, Your Majesty! I used to know how to live and am relearning, slowly. By July when I go back Sewanee to face my greatest fear, I will consider it a successful reentry.
My dear friend Barb (who moved away, as they all seem to do in a college town) and I used to bring the coffee-maker and fixings into her bedroom and spend entire days in bed. It was good for my (then, crippling) insomnia and her hypersomnia. It isn't as fun as having someone "beside you" in the biblical sense, but it's still pretty fun and a blessed respite from larger sleep and loneliness issues that aren't so easily cured.
Post a Comment