Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day


Happy Father's Day to Harvey Parker, who was the best dad I ever had the privilege to know. Even at 22, he just knew how to be the dad every son, especially Dan, wanted--playmate, confidante, fellow cartoon watcher-- and at 33 he perfected the art of falling in love with his daughter and making his wife fall more and more in love with him.  I will always love you, sweetheart, and I will always long for the days we were together.  Every morning when I awaken, I expect you to be there, holding my hipbone.

Here are Harvey and Pamela, visiting in Tennessee, and below us is Harvey's dad, holding his granddaughter, Jessica Nettles.  This is the day that we told his family we were pregnant with Raleigh.   Dan took these photos.




This poem won't be up very long because it's out in the world.  For Father's Day, though, I wanted to honor Harvey, so I'm posting it:


BLIND CONTOUR DRAWING

(smoke and mirrors)

Share |

2 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Oh god, Pamela. You just made me cry. That kind of love is so rare and YOU HAD IT! And so did your children. I am so sorry for the hole in your heart but let me tell you this for sure- your children's hearts were grown whole and entire because of that love.

Pamela Johnson Parker said...

Thanks, Mary. I know I did, and every day I die a little bit more inside without it. And every day without it, I live a little bit more fully, knowing that I did have it.