Sunday, June 03, 2012

The Word for the Day is Abdication


Anti- issue 10 just went live, and the opening poem from my manuscript is inside.  I'm really grateful to the editors for including this piece.


 (All these poems are conversations with Harvey, and this is the first of them).  






Share |

6 comments:

Pamela Johnson Parker said...

Abdication--to declare/away from.

Single is much easier than in a relationship.

I was so good at being married.

I am so bad at dating.

(Oh, D, I loved the kissing and etc. truly, but I cannot stop writing or thinking about Harvey. When you asked me to read my manuscript, I should have been prepared for what you'd say. Don't ask me to give up my writing--it's almost all I have left of my marriage. I still felt the tingle of it, that amputation, that abdication, that awful rowing toward God that Sexton brings to life for me. I'll always remember the clatter of your car keys on the bricks of my front porch).

Pam said...

Stunning, stunned poem. The sounds, the questions. The ghost (s). I look forward to reading your book.

Pamela Johnson Parker said...

Thank you, so very much!

Ms. Moon said...

I am closing my eyes. I am shaking my head a little bit, wondering, as always, how you do this.

Radish King said...

Love love love it. thank you.
xo

(Iwas looking for a poem today and found it)

Pamela Johnson Parker said...

Thank you so much, Mary and Rebecca.

This is a difficult negotiation, with the past that you would go back to immediately, with the present which is full of complications and promises and misunderstandings, and to the future, which is what? Some flowers maybe?