Gratitude Journal:
1. My mother's birthday. I am so glad that she is healthy this year. She and my dad are out of town celebrating.
2. My beautiful vintage lace dress, which someone baptized tonight in Pinot Grigio. (It all came out! I may have been the only person drinking Coca-Cola and still smelling like a wino).
3. My school's sponsorship of Ciaran Carson's poetry reading. (I realize that I understand more about long lines and short lines and when they work/don't work).
4. My friends who were at the party. My students who were at the party. The fact that I didn't have to stay at the party and after tonight don't have to go to any more of these parties. (See #5). The amazing MSU writers with whom I am privileged to work.
5. My self-control, exhibited at its fullest when I was insulted behind my back and to my face.
Part of me wanted to smack him, part of me wanted to snarl back, and part of me just looked at him with my poker face, which is rapidly aging into this one...and imperious silence won out.

(I may be "old." I may be "not going anywhere." I may be "merely an adjunct." However, I go to bed tonight knowing that today I have been generous to students, appreciative of a good poetry reading, and not condescending or cruel to someone else. I also go to bed tonight knowing that I have written today. And those hateful remarks did make me cry, but not till I was in my car on the way home, missing Harvey and wondering why I bother trying to fit in. And glad I didn't bring a date to this stupid thing. And very glad that the Kings of Leon concert is tomorrow).
2 comments:
Some people are just assholes. I wish I had been there. I'm rapid cycling and I would have torched them while you retained your dignity. Ha.
love,
Rebecca
Thank you for your offer!
Revenge is a dish best eaten cold. Especially if the dish served is potato salad.
(And I'm Russian--remember Leningrad? We survive the worst and demolish our enemies. Unfortunately, I think I'm looking forward to the opportunity).
Post a Comment